07 November, 2007

Little Facts About Luxembourg - Part 1

Luxembourg is also known as the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. It is a constitutional monarchy ruled by the Grand Duke. Luxembourg is the world's only remaining sovereign Grand Duchy.

Luxembourg covers only 999 sq. miles and has approximately 480,000 inhabitants. 60% of the population are nationals of Luxembourg while the remaining 40% are foreigners to the country, just like Paula and I.

There are 3 official languages (Luxembourgish, French and German). English is usually spoken in the business world and many Luxembourg residents are fairly fluent in English as well. Of the official languages, French is spoken the most.

Nearly 120,000 “borderers” (people that live in bordering countries of Belgium, France and Germany) commute into Luxembourg each day and head back at night.

Unemployment is typically less than 5% and on a per capita basis, Luxembourg is the richest country in the world.

Luxembourg has an army of only around 800 and has no navy (as it is landlocked) and no air force. It does share some military planes with Belgium and NATO.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Another fascinating little country is Liechtenstein...little bit further of drive to the other side of Switzerland for you, but I know how those European "holidays" can be ;-)